Thursday, May 26, 2005

Wanted

I woke this morning in the darkest corner of a Hamilton Inns parking lot at 5:32 a.m. somewhere just east of Asheville, NC. I drove around to thaw out my toes and watched the steam rise off the sycamore-lined lakeshore to meet the rosy waking sky in this mountain town. I sort of feel that worn, gritty, bon jovi-esqe edge this morning, like, maybe I'm a cowboy, living on a prayer--or maybe i just need a haircut and a bold cup of coffee. in any case, i found myself up before sunrise with rumpled clothes and a crick in my neck.

Asheville is big. i didn't expect it to be this big. (oooh, there i go having my expectations!). Apparently, the center of town hosts a large city hall, where wireless is beamed down onto the town square for anyone to use while sitting outside in the sunshine against the softly rolling horizon. I think i'll be heading there today, to see who might want to talk with me. Okay, so maybe i'm a space cowboy who's relatively social and who's put her spurs in her pocket. but i still have spurs, in case.

WAIT! i think i'm romanticizing this whole independence thing. It's my first real day out on my own this trip (with a few lone days ahead) and as much as I love it, crave it, even need it, I wouldn't have it without everyone who has prepared me for this all, starting simply with my mom and dad, who got me to this planet in the first place, and ending most recently with my dear friends turtle and susan who created a chariot out of a pumpkin so that i could venture off and create my own fairytale. So, thanks, all of y'all, for believing in me. i think i get it. hooray. yee haw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home