Friday, April 14, 2006

flow

well, it's officially spring here in the mountains. the snow report (which tells us how many inches are at the base and on the slopes of all the area ski resorts) has been replaced by the river report (which tells us how many cubic feet of water per second move down stream). the rivers are gushing. behind my house, junction creek has bared all her colorful stones, polished by swift moving rapids. downtown, the animas grows wider with snow melt each day. i love it.

this little town is surrounded by rivers. the san juan mountains provide the head waters for the two major rivers of the southwest: the colorado (which carves the grand canyon before running into the pacific ocean in mexico) and the rio grande (which divides first and second world countries, one might say). they provide the water necessary to sustain this community's agricultural practices, they provide habitat fora multitude of species who in turn provide food for hundreds of others, and they provide the inspiration of movement and flow for every spirit here.

i've been spending a little time every day talking with the rivers. junction in particular feeds my dream state, where i've been passing through emotions and doing all sorts of work which leaves me tired and sore when the morning arrives. however, i wake to the river singing outside my window, and i'm reminded that the day will move as well. the only thing that keeps me stuck is my perspective. but with the sun casting light from a higher and higher place in the sky each day, i notice that everything holds a facet i've never seen before. it's beautiful.

i'm giving up what i think i know, and keeping my heart open. i'm giving up what i think i want, and letting myself be pulled by what guides me. there's a river of light inside me that moves as powerfully as those around me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home