Thursday, October 13, 2005

along for the ride

yes, i have been absent from california, although i'm sure that at least 10 people got their hair dyed to my color such that no one really missed me. But that's not my point. My point is this: I've been traveling, and now that I have returned to Oakland, i realize that I'm now just hanging out here for a few days, en route to somewhere else. So, of course, i'm seeing everything with depth and meaning, as if it's the first and last time i've seen it. On a walk around Lake Merritt (which I've walked dozens of times) I felt compelled to touch every tree, and witness every duck butt bounce buoyantly as the birds sought underwater for whatever it is they eat. I actually walked the labyrinth instead of walking past it, because I don't know if I'll ever have a chance to do it again. I tend to find myself engaging this way with people (and, as my friends here know, i'm making every effort to see all my loves before i depart) but not so often with the place. However, this bay, this ocean, the hills here, and the fog--they are as dynamic as my friends, and perhaps even more honest. The magic they've shared with me has transformed me. i'm humbled by it all, really.

My dear friend abby picked me up at SFO on Monday. She'd flown in from DC a few days before (and, by the way, on Frontier, this time i flew with a red fox and a bald eagle...quite good companions). It was late, but we talked about plans for the next day. "i want to go somewhere really pretty," she said. There were a million places to go.

We went to Slide Ranch.

I haven't been there for nearly a year, and it is just as magical as ever. We walked to North Beach and collected rocks, shells, seaweed, and fish vertebrae. We listened to the sound of the waves crashing through the pebbled shore, trying to take it all back to its mother. We watched pelicans dive for food, and fog cascade over cypress trees. I think abby liked it there.



the unforeseen bonus of abby's visit was that it had me driving to the places I love most here. Through sharing them with her, i received all the blessings and good will a girl about to travel to the mountains might need. I'm filled with awe and respect for this place that has sustained me for the past 5 years. I know i'll miss more than just the avocadoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home